You meet someone for the first time and get a FEELING that you will be good friends; you end up being great buddies.
The phone rings and before you pick it up or see the caller ID, you SEE the face of who is calling in your mind.
You are looking at your bank account’s low balance with an anxious feeling. You suddenly HEAR a reassuring song in your head…it is Bob Marley’s song, “Don’t worry…about a thing…every little thing is gonna be alright.”
Your child says their belly hurts and even though you usually would be low key about it, this time you KNOW he needs to be seen by the doctor right away. When you bring him to the doctor’s office, they confirm it IS something that needs to be taken care of immediately.
These are all real life examples of how my intuition has talked to me…and how your intuition may be talking to you.
We ALL have intuition, so knowing what it is and how to recognize it will help you take advantage of this incredibly helpful built-in tool within you!
What Intuition Is
The word intuition means “inner teacher,” as in “in-tuition.” Like a good teacher, Intuition gives you insights, guidance, and new perspectives about something.
The word intuitive means, “having the ability to understand or know something without any logical reasoning process.” I love this definition because it gives us an important clue about intuition…it does NOT come from the logical mind!
Before I tell you where intuition comes from, I first want to remind you that your intuition’s primary function is to guide you towards your highest good and to keep you connected to your Divine Knowing.
The source of your Divine Knowing is your Spirit (or Higher Self), God, your angels, and spiritual guides–what I like to call, your Spiritual Support Team.
Your intuition is your inner guidance system and it always flows through your heart!
Realizing that intuitive messages come to us through our heart, not our mind, is very important. We are conditioned to listen to our mind, but our source of divine knowing is really our heart!
Once we access an intuitive message through our heart, we become aware of it through our intuitive senses, also known as, intuitive channels of communication.
Intuitive Channels of Communication
We receive intuitive messages through 4 main intuitive channels within our body:
- FEELINGS (a.k.a. clairsentience = “clear feeling”)
- VISION (a.k.a. clairvoyance = “clear seeing”)
- HEARING (a.k.a. clairaudience = “clear hearing”)
- KNOWING (a.k.a. claircognizance = “clear knowing”)
These 4 intuitive channels are the senses we usually use to recognize intuitive messages. I will give some examples of how your intuition talks to you through each of these senses.
See if you can recognize how your intuition talks to you!
Intuition Through FEELINGS
Our feelings are the most common way our inner guidance talks to us. When a feeling feels good, it usually means we’re going in the right direction. When a feeling feels bad, it means there is resistance towards what you are focusing on.
Here are a couple of examples of how we receive intuitive messages through feelings:
- You are considering making a choice. Let’s say you are wondering if signing up for an event is a good idea. When you think about attending this event, you feel excited, light and your heart expands. When you think about not attending, you feel sad or your chest contracts. Your guidance is telling you to go for it!
- You have been worried about your child. She’s been having difficulties at school and you are concerned. You are asking your intuition for guidance. You get an idea, but your chest contracts when you think about it. This is your intuition saying this idea is not the best. When you think about another possible solution that came to you, your chest expands and you feel lighter. This is your intuition saying this one is a good idea, which was likely divinely inspired!
Intuition Through VISIONS
Seeing an image in our mind or noticing specific things in our environment are common forms of intuitive guidance.
- It’s morning time and you can’t find your car keys. You can’t remember where you put them. You then see an image in your mind of the jacket you were wearing the day before. When you look in the pockets of that jacket, you find your keys!
- You are perusing a magazine at a doctor’s office while you wait to be called in. In the magazine, you notice an ad for a local school you’ve never heard of before. The ad seems to “jump” out of the page. You remember you have been looking for a new school for your child. When you later check out this school, you realize it is a really good fit for your child!
Intuition Through HEARING
Many times we literally hear the voice of our intuition speaking to us. This voice may sound like our own voice in our head, a conversation we overhear or a song.
- You are washing the dishes, thinking about something you feel you should do, but have been resisting. This has been bothering you for a while. In the middle of thinking about it, you suddenly hear a song in your mind. It is the song from the movie Frozen, “Let it go…let it go…” Guess who’s telling you to “let it go?” Yep…your inner guidance!
- While driving you think about a friend you haven’t talked to in a while. Your friend lives in California. While you are listening to the radio, the Beach Boys song, “California Girls” comes on. This is your inner guidance confirming you should call your friend!
Intuition Through KNOWING
Have you ever known something without knowing how you know? This is how we receive intuitive messages through our thoughts or “knowing.”
- A friend is asking you for advice. You suddenly know exactly what to say and that this will help her. You haven’t had any experience in this topic and you don’t know how you know this, but you just feel a certainty that the thoughts and words that are coming to you will help your friend in some way. Your insights help your friend gain a new perspective and hope.
- You have been wondering how to bring in more money. You suddenly get an idea. You have an inner knowing that it will work. You don’t know why or how, but just know it will. After following through, your idea helps you make $2,000 more per month!
You Are Designed to Be Intuitive
You are not alone. You are not meant to figure it out on your own. You have a direct connection to a Spiritual Support Team who adores you and whose purpose is to guide you towards what you want with more ease and joy.
When you disconnect from your Divine Knowing, you can feel lost and disoriented. Understanding what intuition is and how you receive intuitive messages can help you recognize when your inner guidance is guiding you towards what is best for you. This helps you experience more ease, peace and clarity in your life.
How has your intuition guided you? Which sense(s) did your intuitive guidance come through? Please share your stories & comments below!